Job Reference #: CO17-9
Full Time | First Shift
Careers at Lactalis American Group, Inc.
Senior Director, Logistics
Manages the Logistics department for the company. This includes responsibility for the functions of warehousing of finished goods (Cheese and Powders) and the overall management of the distribution and delivery function for the company (Domestic and Export sales). Duties will involve directing all the activities of the company's distribution centers (owned and leased) and management of the in-house transportation team in order to provide world class delivery/distribution services to our customers. Focus will be on ensuring excellent product quality, maintaining a positive employee relation climate and providing a superior level of service to our customers
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This includes the following, and other duties may be assigned:
Responsible for development and active management of a comprehensive budget and business plan for the Logistics department. This involves a full understanding of the volumes by DC, an understanding of the lanes involved, and an understanding of the carriers and freight rates. This also involves close communication and coordination with all corporate support functions. Take ownership to achieve the budgeted CPP KPI (cost per pound)
2. Will be responsible for the selection, providing leadership and development of a team of staff who through training and motivation will provide a superior level of service to our operations and customers. This involves the development of a comprehensive succession plan for every key role in the Logistics department.
3. Working with Distribution Center Managers reviews manpower levels and assignments based on projected product movement to ensure that staffing levels/skill sets are appropriate. Will work to ensure that manpower is appropriately scheduled and utilized. This step may involve working with the Planning team to understand the volume per DC on a weekly and monthly basis in order to plan the manpower.
4. Will be responsible for the continual evaluation of the companies warehousing functions and operations. This will include such things as layout and the design of the distribution centers to provide the best utilization of the facility for product access, rotation, safety and efficiency. This also involves in managing the outside storage costs. (lease costs)
5. Responsible for ensuring that all aspects of the relationship with the freight providing companies. This will include but not limited to: (a.) providing superior service levels to our company. b.) working to ensure that the condition of the carrier's fleet properly reflects the image of LAG (c.) ensures that cost effective carriers are utilized (d.) Will work to make sure that billing and reporting are accurate and reliable ( e) Ensure appropriate number of fixed assets are utilized. Will additionally manage all aspects of the relationship with our carriers to ensure that they provide a superior level of service.
6. Also manage all the transportation claims by working closely with the LAG legal department.
7. To manage the activity between the various company manufacturing facilities (inter-plants) via the utilization of various modes of transportation.
8. Responsible for effective operation of the company's inventory control system. Will ensure that all controls and systems are in place and operating. Will continually review, audit and improve all procedures/practice to guarantee inventory integrity and cycle count accuracies. This also involves working with the parent company annual inventory audits.
9. To coordinate with the Sales Department, Customer Service department, and Production planning group to follow up on any problems with customer deliveries that may arise.
10. Directs reclamation of damaged and returned merchandise and coordinate these activities with sales and Quality Assurance through the approved OSD&R process.
11. Continually strive to reduce costs by improving the warehouse efficiencies, reducing warehouse expenses and product waste; reducing the freight costs; etc.
12. Actively pursue cost saving projects that bring financial value to the group. This involves continuous review of the transportation network.
13. Work closely with the LAG Manufacturing team and Quality team.
14. Work closely with the Supply Chain team in Laval on all joint projects undertaken.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
• Minimum of seven (7) to ten (10) years of experience in various leadership roles in transportation and warehousing/DC operations with a track record success in the areas of change management, cost reduction, and service improvement.; with at least 7 to 10 years’ experience at a senior level of responsibility
• Experience using best of breed logistics software (WMS, TMS, YMS, LM, etc.) and managing the software implementation projects.
• Position requires a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in logistics, business or other appropriate major. Master's level education is certainly a plus.
• Must have had experience with a multi-location operation and with a logistics function serving them. Experience with a food manufacturer certainly is a plus.
• Ideal experience would include: 1. assembling a strong staff at all levels of the organization focused on providing a superior level of service to both internal and external customers. 2. Providing strong and active management of both the logistics and warehousing functions for the company. 3. Being seen as a partner by all in the organization. 4. Possessing strong communication and organizational skills. 5. Ability to understand and evaluate all types of systems and processes to take maximum advantage of the benefits for the organization.
• Experience with Logistics Softer Lamasoft, ORTEC
• Demonstrated experience at an intermediate or better level with Micosoft products: Excel, Powerpoint, Word etc.
• Knowledge and experience working with budget planning and analysis
Mail your resume to:
Corporate and Commercial Headquarters
ATTN: Human Resources - LAGCareers
2376 South Park Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14220